Thursday, February 8, 2007

I am missing my community

Since mid-August there has been an amazing community about me.

A wise father, an amazing husband, two loving sisters, a jolly brother-in-law, three stellar daughters, one splendid son-in-law, eight nieces and nephews ranging in age and interest, one niece in law who rocks my world, two grandchildren who are the apple of my eye, and a few stout and strong friends, work cohorts in various locations, family of said people, friends, and acquaintances at church and online.

Tonight I am missing my community. I am in my very nice home that looks like I live here, smells like home to me, is familiar in all it sights and sounds, comfortable and comforting, and is about all I ever want in the way of a home. I have spoken to just about everyone mentioned in the above litany except my wise father.

I saw birds at the feeder today. I have been waiting since December to see them. The snow is staying on the branches and it fills up your eyes with wonder at their beauty. It is cold and quiet outside and yet there is an amazing peace at the sound. My sister saw a shooting star tonight, her first ever. My sister passed her "inspection" at work.

I hear my Dad say "Look here, I am still near you. I will stay for as long as you need me to be here." Well Dad, we need you to be near for a while longer.

Thanks for keeping us safe through the snow storm we traveled through to get home. Thanks for teaching me how to write well all those nights you dictated book and history reports to me and I was so tired that I could not see the page, much less understand what you were saying. Thanks for just about everything - even the times when our ideas did not meet in the middle - you taught me that one can use your problems as a hole to climb into or turn the hole upside down and use it as a step up. I think without the adversity of our relationship during my teen years I would not be the kind of person I am today.

I am helping to give a sermon on Sunday February 18, 2007. I expect you will be there, please bring Mom.

We are also having another celebration of your life and witness in spring, with lots of music of varied sorts and different writings. A well thought out celebration. We need to be able to celebrate you the way you raised us - with thought and caring - not by some cut and dried - no room for love formula dictated by a church that knows about its rules but not about LOVE. You are also welcome to hang out with us then, bring Mom she will enjoy the sounds and she always loved a party.

Well the clock is blinking 10:38 pm. I need to sleep. My community is safe and each in their own home and I know they miss each other too. I heard you chuckle when I told this story.

LIFE IS GOOD ALL THE TIME
ALL THE TIME LIFE IS GOOD

GOOD FOR LESSONS
LESSONS FOR GOOD

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME
ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD

No comments: